Subscribe RSS

Tuesday

Pulled Pork (sugar free)

I wanted to do pulled pork in my crockpot today, but I'm still on my sugar free diet, so I went hunting online for some sugar free barbeque sauce.  I did find some that were sweetened with artificial sweeteners (including diet soda), but not one that was truly sugar free -- real and artificial.  Sooo.....I made up my own.  Which was kind of gutsy, really, because my brother and his family are in town and were coming for dinner tonight.  Luckily it turned out really good!  If you like very sweet barbeque sauce, then this isn't your recipe, but if you like spicy, tangy, kick-you-in-the-pants flavor, you'll love it.  Enjoy!

Pulled Pork (sugar free)

4 lb pork sirloin tip roast
2 8-oz cans tomato sauce
1 Tbsp liquid smoke
1/4 large onion, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and membrance removed, finely minced
1/2 tsp coarse ground pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 Cup fresh squeezed orange juice

Combine all ingredients in crockpot.  Put in roast.  Cook on high 6-8 hours.  Turn off, remove lid, and shred pork with two forks, stirring in sauce as you go.  Serve on hamburger buns to your gluten eating friends, on a slice of toasted gluten free bread for the gluten free friends.  A lettuce leaf and a few slices of avocado are good additions too.  I served it with a salad for a complete meal.





2 comments:

  1. Did you mean tomato paste? I'm asking because tomato sauce usually doesn't come in 8 oz. cans. Thanks; looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, tomato sauce. I buy a lot of my canned goods from Costco and their tomato sauce comes in 8 ounce cans. Sorry about the confusion. Just use 4 of the small ones. Or better yet, start with 2 or 3 and taste as you go to get it the way you like it!

    ReplyDelete