Subscribe RSS

Monday

Braised Leeks

Have you ever done much cooking with leeks?  I didn't for the longest time -- I thought they looked like overgrown green onions, and couldn't imagine what I could possibly do with them.  However, they're very adaptable.  You can use thin slices in salads or on sandwiches, or slice them into soups and pasta dishes.  They're very mild and delicate tasting.  This is the first recipe I've run onto (besides leek soup) where they are the star ingredient!  I decided to try it, and it's delicious.  I hope you'll try it too. 

Braised Leeks

3 leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and cut into 3" lengths
2 Tbsp butter
Coarse salt and ground pepper

Separate layers of leeks and rinse well.  Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet.  Add leeks and 3/4 cup water.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cover and cook at a medium simmer until leeks are very tender (adding more water if necessary) for 14-16 minutes.  Serve hot.  4 servings.





No comments:

Post a Comment