Subscribe RSS

Sunday

Homemade Mayonnaise

I can hear you asking, "Why would anyone want to make their own mayonnaise?"  I've always asked the same question.  However, recently my doctor put me on a totally sugar-free diet -- like not just giving up desserts and candy, but checking every label for hidden sources of sugar and no cheating with fake sugar.  Yikes!  And guess what has sugar in it -- mayo!  Who knew?  Well I'm here to tell you that it's hard to live without mayo, so I started researching homemade mayonnaise recipes, and found one that is pretty tasty, despite the fact that it is sans sugar.  Since some of you out there in blog land may have allergies to some of the ingredients in commercial mayonnaise, I'd thought I'd pass this along.  One of the great things about making your own is that you can choose what kind of oil you use.  Lots of people are allergic to soy, which almost all commercial mayonnaise is made with.  I have noticed new types made with other oils on the shelves lately (in my search for a sugar-free one, which was not to be found), so there are commercial options, but making your own is easy, so you choose.  Here it is:

Homemade Mayonnaise

1 egg
1/2 - 3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp paprika
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Cup salad oil (I like canola)

Place egg, seasonings, lemon juice and 1/4 cup oil into blender container;  cover and process at blend.  Remove feeder cap and pour in remaining oil in a small steady stream slowly.  This is critical.  If you add it too fast, it won't emulsify, and you'll be left with an oily mess and have to start over.



My blender flicks little droplets out the top when the feeder cap is off, so I hold a folded paper towel over the opening except where I'm pouring in the oil.  Be sure you use a measuring cup with a good pouring spout.  When all the oil has been incorporated, let it run a little while longer to mix it well, and then spoon it out into a container and store it in the refrigerator.



And there you have it!



No comments:

Post a Comment