Subscribe RSS

Tuesday

Taco Soup

I love Mexican food, probably because I grew up eating it regularly in southern California where I lived as a child.  I'm not sure if taco soup is an authentic Mexican dish or not, but it has those wonderful flavors, and so is a favorite.  I actually have several taco soup recipes, but this is the one that I use most frequently because I think it has the perfect blend of flavors and doesn't call for a packet of taco seasoning, which all my other recipes do.  Taco seasoning from the supermarket seems to always have some objectionable ingredients in it, especially if you have allergies, so this "from scratch" recipe works better.  It's still quick and easy and always delicious.

Taco Soup

1 lb lean hamburger
1 chopped onion
Brown together; drain off grease.  Put into a soup pot and add:
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garlic salt
3/4 tsp onion salt
2  8 oz. cans tomato sauce
2  14 oz. cans petite diced tomatoes and 2 cans water
1  15 oz. can dark red kidney beans, or your favorite beans, drained and rinsed
1  small can mild green chilis
1 Cup frozen corn

Heat together.  Serve with garnishes:  grated cheese, sour cream, Fritos, chopped avocados, sliced olives, other favorite toppings of your choice.  Be creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment