Subscribe RSS

Tuesday

Favorite Apple Pie

This is the apple pie recipe that I've been making for the past 40 years.  It's from a paperback cookbook that I was given at my wedding shower over 41 years ago called Farm Journal's Complete Pie Cookbook, Popular Edition.  I don't know if it's still available or not, but it's 291 pages of pie recipes.  My book has been used so much that it's now held together with a rubber band :).  The only difference from the original is that I now use rice flour instead of regular flour, and of course my pastry is gluten free. 

Favorite Apple Pie (makes one 9" pie)

Pastry for a 2-crust pie (I used this recipe)
3/4 to 1 Cup sugar, depending on tartness of apples
2 Tbsp  rice flour
1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
6 to 7 Cups sliced peeled apples (I like to use equal amounts of Granny Smith and Golden Delicious apples)
2 Tbsp butter or margarine (optional)

Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.  Slice apples 1/4" thick.  Mix sugar mixture and apples.  Heap in pastry-lined 9" pie pan.  Dot with butter if desired.  Adjust top crust and flute edges; cut vents.

Bake in hot oven (425) 50 to 60 minutes, or until crust is browned and apples are tender.




I brushed the top crust with beaten egg white and then dusted it with granulated sugar.  This is the first apple pie I've made using the cream cheese pie crust recipe, and the edge seemed to get brown ahead of the top.  I'm thinking that next time I'll adjust the temperature to 400 in hopes of it browning more evenly.  I'll be making another one this month sometime, and if it works better, I'll revise the instructions above.



No comments:

Post a Comment