Subscribe RSS

Thursday

Enchilada Casserole

Here is the recipe I promised you in my last post.  Enjoy! 

Enchilada Casserole

1-1/2 to 2 lbs hamburger
1 Cup chopped onion
1/4 tsp. oregano
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp Tabasco hot sauce
1 tsp garlic powder

Cook together until meat is browned.  Drain fat.  Put back in pan.


(In case you're wondering what those green flecks are, I discovered I was out of onions when I started making this.  I had lots of green onions, though, so I used those :)

3/4 Cup rice flour (regular flour in original recipe) -- Sprinkle it over the top of the meat and then mix in well.


3 Cups water -- Add to meat and mix well for gravy consistency
2-8 oz cans tomato sauce -- Stir into gravy.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Simmer.



4-6 corn torillas, cut into fourths for easy handling
3 Cups grated cheddar cheese

Layer in 9 x 13 casserole:  1 thin layer meat sauce, layer of torillas, layer of cheese.



another layer of meat, tortillas, cheese; layer of meat and cheese to finish.



Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.



1/2 head lettuce, chopped

To serve, put chopped lettuce on top of casserole (optional) 



I know the chopped lettuce on top sounds weird (I threw on some chopped avocado too), but the cool crunchiness of the lettuce with the hot creaminess of the casserole is amazing.  The kids may not like it but the adults will!


No comments:

Post a Comment